As the elementary school counselor at Lin-Wood, I believe that with the appropriate coaching and supports, all children can become successful students and function as contributing members of our school community.
Some of the services I provide, as a means to achieving this outcome, are grade-level classroom guidance lessons, general counseling services for school-related issues, groups for students with similar needs, and IEP services to address social-emotional learning goals through research-based curriculum instruction. I am also available as a resource for parents if they have questions or concerns regarding their child and encourage frequent communication between the school and family when a student is struggling.
Specific interests and areas of training for me include anxiety resolution, trauma-sensitive approaches, Conscious Discipline and Responsive Classroom, and mindfulness.
A short list of services Dr. Schinaman provides:
- IEP services for SEL learning goals through (1:1 or small group) research-based curriculum instruction
- general counseling services for school-related issues
- group meetings for students with similar needs
- grade-level classroom guidance lessons (with Erin Bell)
- coordinate standardized testing